The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2021 is a program designed to help Canadian institutions to attract highly qualified doctoral students.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2021 Details
Offered Annually? – Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be Taken at (country): Canada
- Is valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies.
- It considers three equally weighted selection criteria which are: Academic Excellence, Research Potential and Leadership.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was initiated to attract as well as retain world-class doctoral students and to brand Canada as a global center of excellence in research as well as in higher learning. VCS supports students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering and health. The scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year for three years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
Information for nominating institutions: Nominating institutions are encouraged to consider diversity in discipline, gender, official language, and citizenship when considering which applicants to nominate for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program.
This scholarship is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign students who are pursuing a doctoral degree at eligible Canadian universities.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, candidate must:
- Be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- Be pursuing your first doctoral degree which includes joint undergraduate/graduate research program like MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component. However, only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding:
- Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program like: MD/PhD DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution. Note that, only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding:
- Not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2021;
- Is expected to achieve a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are to contact the institution for its definition of a first class average and
- Must not hold or have held a doctoral level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC in order to undertake or complete a doctoral degree .
Eligibility of Degree Programs
- Doctoral awards are tenable only in degree programs which have a significant research component. The research component must be a requirement for completion of the program, and is considered to be significant original, autonomous research which leads to the completion of a dissertation, major scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit which is merit reviewed at the institutional level. Clinically-oriented programs of study, which includes clinical Psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant research component as mentioned above.
- There should be academic excellence as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- There also should be a research potential as demonstrated by the candidates research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and it’s potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability) as defined by the following qualities:
- Personal Achievement:
- Involvement in Academic Life
- Volunteerism/community outreach:
- Civic engagement:
Application can be done in two ways: The student can inform the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution can initiate the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline with the aid of the ResearchNet application system. The nominating institution will then forward recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by 3 November 2020.
It is important to visit the official website in order to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Next Important Date
For Students: Students are to consult nominating institution for submission deadline.
For nominating institutions: Deadline, November 3, 2020 (20:00 EDT)